Monday, May 23, 2011

Dog Day!

I got my dog today! This morning after breakfast we met our instructors and worked on basic guidework and handling. Each instructor is assigned to two students so I was able to have a lot of individual instruction. The instructors simulate a guide dog using a roll of carpet with a leash on it. This fake dog is called Juno. I gave it commands, corrections and praise just like a real dog. After lunch We were given our dogs! They brought each person's dog to their room introducing them and giving the handler their health info; Weight, height, etc. My dog's name is Joel and He is a tall yellow lab. You should see a picture of us together along with this post. He has been a fantastic dog. He responds to commands without a problem and he is well minded and quiet. I haven't had to give him a major correction thus far. After we hung out in my room for a while and got to know each other we went out with an instructor to practice guidework and handling. Joel pulls a bit when I am heeling him at my side but with a bit of gentle correction he slowed his pace and kept at my side. He guided very well leading me at a brisk pace and going around obstacles without a hitch. He responds to turns very quickly, He turns and starts walking before I can finish the command. He can tell by my movements what way I want to go so even if I say the wrong word, if I make the correct body turn He will respond correctly.

After this training we fed and watered the dogs. They eat an exact amount of food and it varies dog to dog. They take a different amount of water depending on the dog as well. Joel didn't bowl me over trying to get to the food. Since labs are so enthused about their food this was a pleasant surprise. Josie my pet Chocolate lab will just take you out if you don't make her lie down first. After we fed and watered the dogs we took them outside to do their business. Joel is quick and does not wander around forever before doing his business.

After this we hung out with our dogs before going to dinner. Dinner was chicken Curry and it was the first time I have had curry. It was very good and I will be eating it in future. After dinner I went and found the music room. They have a classical guitar so it is somewhat different from what I have at home but I was able to hammer out a tune on it. Joel was very good the entire time he just slept the while I was playing. He is a very calm and laid back dog but he can be energetic as well. He is the perfect midground between being dead calm and bouncing off of the walls. We relieved the dogs again and gave them another bowl of water. Overall a great and somewhat relaxing day. We go to Portland tomorrow for actual routes and guidework so I will post how that goes tomorrow night.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the picture your mom posted on Facebook! You two look great together! - Brealin

    ReplyDelete